Nearly all events run smoothly, however occasionally things go wrong and it is important to be prepared. If something does go wrong there can be serious implications so event organisers need to plan ahead, anticipate risks and take appropriate action where necessary. The Government Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recommends carrying out a five step risk assessment (see below) to look at what in your event could potentially cause harm, and whether you have done enough to prevent an accident.
You can download and print a risk assessment template, guidance and checklist directly from the HSE website using the links below.
- Identify potential hazards
- Decide who might be harmed and how
- Evaluate the risks and decide on precautions
- Make a record of your findings and necessary actions
- Review your assessment throughout planning /set up
See the Events Health and Safety Checklist and Events Legal Checklist for a list of some of the most common issues and checks to look out for.