Paying Money to the DEC

  • Where do I send the money I've collected?

    There are many ways to pay money you've collected for the appeal to the DEC

    1. Via your JustGiving Page
    2. Via a Bank Transfer
    3. Over the Counter at a Bank
    4. Sending in a Postal Cheque or Returning your Collection Bucket / Box

    JustGiving Page

    Generally the best way to pay in money raised is to setup a JustGiving page for the DEC and make all payments there,

    You can create a fundraiser for the most recent campaign here -

    It will also be a lot easier for friends and family to support the event. If a JustGiving page can't be set up then donations can be sent direct to the DEC, see

    Bank Transfer

    We do not actively promote our bank details on the website for security reasons but if you wish to make a bank transfer you can get in touch with our supporter care team @

    Paying in at a Bank

    You can pay money in at any Post Office, bank or building society except Nationwide or Britannia. They should have paying-in slips with the DEC's bank account details on them.

    Please keep the slip with your name, the amount donated and a bank stamp as this acts as your receipt and will be the only proof that you have donated. You will need to send this to us if you require a receipt or thank you letter from the DEC.

    Banks kindly request that you sort any coins into separate bags which they can give you before you pay in. 

    All banks should support DEC appeals. However that can vary from branch to branch, and some may run out of the slips or just not realise that they have them. We do our best to make sure there are as many ways to pay money in as possible, however we can't guarantee that every branch will be able to facilitate this method of payment. We don't have paying in slips at the DEC's offices as we do not produce them ourselves.

    If you do have difficulty then other ways to pay can be found at

    Sending a Cheque 

    All donations should be made payable to DEC **Name of Appeal** and posted with a completed postal donation form to: 

    • DEC **Name of Appeal**  
    • PO Box 999,
    • London,
    • EC3A 3AA

    You can also use a sponsorship form if you have lots of donations to send in or if you want to attribute specific postal donations to a fundraising event





  • Do I need to ask permission from my local council to shake a tin on the pavement?

    Many pavements are owned by the local authority but not all are, for example shopping centres are usually privately owned. Some councils do want you to register with them and ask for permission before you fundraise on the street and some don’t. Often those that do want a fundraising number from you to show that you are genuinely raising money for a charity.

    If your local authority needs a fundraising number then please contact us giving your full name, address, email and telephone number and we will issue you with one.

  • Do I need to register with you if I’m just collecting money?

    It would be really helpful if you could register with us even if you are just collecting money as it helps us keep track of donations. There are often a huge number of events taking place during an appeal and its important for us to be able to confirm everyone is raising money appropriately for the Disaster.

    Once you have registered you then can request materials to help you such as T-shirts and collecting boxes (see How do I order fundraising materials? article)

    Also we can send you an unique identification number that can be used in all correspondence with us so it is also easier for us to acknowledge your donation when it's been received and send you a thank you letter or other certificate.

    If you let us know your name and address, telephone number and email address then we can send you a registration number. Contact us here.

  • Gift Aid & Sponsorship Form for Community Events

    Download the front page of the Sponsorship Form here and any extra pages here.